Message from Executive Secretary Treasurer, James Barry:
Below is the most recent updates on the federal and provincial governments’ response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The House of Commons is deadlocked as the three Opposition parties demand concessions from the Liberal minority Government before considering new legislation dealing with the COIVD-19 pandemic.
- The bill the Liberals want debated and passed would provide a one time tax free payment of $600 to people with disabilities. However, it would also provide penalties, including possible jail terms, for people who knowingly received $2000 a month payments from the Canadian Emergency Relief Benefit to which they were not entitled.
- The three Opposition Parties all have different demands for agreeing to start the debate. Ultimately, the Liberals will have to agree to at least one party’s requirements to have enough votes to command the House and get the vote underway.
- Premier Ford and Deputy Premier Elliott did not attend the daily briefing today. It was reported that Education Minister Lecce had come into contact with someone that tested positive for COVID, so the entire group took precautions by isolating and getting tested. As of the writing of this update, Minister Lecce tested negative for COVID. We are awaiting the other two results.
- The briefing was conducted by Colleges and Universities Minister, Ross Romano. He announced a framework for re-opening post-secondary institutions and a pilot program over the summer to allow for the completion of in-person requirements. Starting in July, limited in-person education can restart for students who were unable to graduate due to COVID-19. The first phase will allow for the re-opening of in-person instruction to students in essential, frontline, and high labour market demand areas such as nursing, personal support workers, and engineering.
- In September, all students will have the opportunity to attend post-secondary institutions via virtual learning, in-class instruction, or hybrid formats.
Executive Secretary Treasurer
IBEW Construction Council of Ontario