UPDATE: April 1, 3:11:25 PM
Message from Executive Secretary Treasurer, James Barry:
Below is the most recent updates on the federal and provincial governments’ response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Parliament will be recalled later this month to approve the most recent initiatives of the Trudeau Government to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. The recall will probably happen next week, less than two weeks after the first emergency session of Parliament to deal with special COVID-19 measures adjourned, and before the regular scheduled return later in the month.
- It is expected that later this afternoon, Min. Morneau will be announcing further details to the subsidies for workers and businesses. We will update you all on the relevant details when they are announced.
- The daily briefing by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and a subsequent news conference by four cabinet ministers had a more sombre tone than previously. Without specifically saying so, there was a suggestion that the length and impact of the pandemic will be longer than originally hoped. Trudeau said the pandemic could last into July.
- Howard Njoo, the Deputy Chief of Public Health Officer, said if Public Distancing and self isolation were not being practiced sixty to seventy per cent of the population could be infected.
- Health Minister Patti Hadju said ultimately how closely people follow the public health directives will determine how long the crisis will last. So, stay home!
- Ontario announces $50M for Together Fund:
- To fund Ontario businesses who are retooling to produce essential medical supplies, such as gowns, coveralls, masks, face shields, testing equipment, and ventilators.
- Submissions can be made here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-your-organization-can-help-fight-coronavirus
- Ontario placed an order with O-Two Medical Technologies, supported by Ontario’s manufacturing sector, for 10,000 ventilator units.
- The Premier hinted several times during his press conference that an update of the essential work list would be coming soon and that presumably the list would be shorter with some sectors no longer being deemed essential.
- On construction sites, the Premier stated that three sites were issued stop-work orders by Ministry of Labour inspectors these last number of days.
- TORONTO: The Mayor announced today new orders for the next 12 weeks in Toronto. They are:
- All people with COVID-19 must stay home under the Health Protection and Promotion Act for 14 days. The same order was issued for those that have had close contact with someone that is infected.
- Anyone who is not ill or has not travelled, is strongly directed to stay home except for the following reasons: accessing healthcare or medication; shop for groceries once per week; walk pets; daily exercise while maintaining social distancing.
- People returning from international travel must stay home, as per the existing federal order.
- Anyone over the age of 70, as the province announced this week, is strongly encouraged to remain home at all times.
- The announcement was the result of new modelling on the virus done by the province. The province would not comment on the modelling, other than to say that the couple week is going to be critical at flattening the curve
Executive Secretary Treasurer
IBEW Construction Council of Ontario