Please see below the most recent updates on the federal and provincial governments’ response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Federal and Provincial Update
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Doug Ford along with the Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade, Vic Fedeli, and Federal Minister Anita Anand, Public Services and Procurement made a joint announcement today. The announcement took place in Brockville at 3M Canada.
- The Provincial and Federal governments are partnering with 3M Canada to expand their facility in Brockville. The expansion will allow 3M to manufacture N95 masks.
- The expansion and manufacturing of N95 masks are part of the ‘Made in Canada’ solution. Both governments are investing $23.33 million each to support 3M’s capital investment of $70 million.
- The facility will begin operations in early 2021 and will produce respirators for the private sector, provinces and the North American market to help through the pandemic and beyond.
- 3M will produce 50 million respirators annually. These respirators will be shared equally between Ontario and Ottawa.
- 30 jobs will be created at the Brockville facility, once completed. These positions will include production operators, maintenance technician, process engineers, supervisors and quality assurance professionals.
The Prime Minister and the Ontario Premier praised one another for putting party differences aside and working together to help the people of Ontario.
Executive Secretary Treasurer
IBEW Construction Council of Ontario