Please see below the most recent updates on the federal and provincial governments’ response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- There was no COVID-19 update from the federal government today.
- Before making today’s announcement, the Premier said tomorrow the government will be releasing further restrictions which will be tough, especially in certain hot spot areas (Toronto, Peel, possibly York). There is a lot of speculation that the restrictions could look very similar to what it looked like last March/April. We will update you as soon as we know more.
- Premier Doug Ford and Monte McNaughton, Minister of Labour announced a provincial campaign with a team of more than 200 officers to help educate and to ensure businesses across the province are taking the necessary steps to keep employees, consumers and the public safe.
- When asked about the threshold of ICU patients in hospitals, the Premier said the backlog of surgeries is going to continue to be addressed and referenced the extra beds that the province has funded. He also noted that the federal government has provided funding for two weeks of paid sick leave, and the province has passed legislation making it illegal to fire someone from missing work for being sick.
- The Premier was asked about the federal government’s vaccine strategy. He indicated the Federal Government and the Provincial Ministry of Health have been in communication regarding the vaccines, and said a senior federal official said that Ontario will be receiving 40%/capita, as per usual, for dosses.
- When asked about the closure of public schools, the Premier said that the current recommendation is to keep children in school because it is a controlled environment, but Dr. William also indicated he will look at what the State of New York has implemented to see what can be learned. Schools in Ontario have expanded resources such as nursing staff, PPE and assessing and containing with less chance of transmission within the school.
Executive Secretary Treasurer
IBEW Construction Council of Ontario
Want an IBEW CCO Sweatshirt?
We’re giving away Limited Edition 1/4 zip sweatshirts to IBEW members who share an IBEW Proud Moment with us!