RECENT NEWS: James Barry Responds to Decision of Provincial Government to Deem Construction as Essential
Read the letter here: IBEW Response to Ontario Govt Re: Construction Workplaces as Essential Workplaces
UPDATE: May 6
Message from Executive Secretary Treasurer, James Barry:
Below is the most recent updates on the federal and provincial governments’ response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- There were no new updates from the federal government today. The Prime Minister and members of cabinet will attend the repatriation ceremony of Canada’s fallen soldiers at CFB Trenton.
- Today, the province announced that a number of additional businesses will be allowed to open as long as they follow all public health protocols:
- Garden Centres & Nurseries: Friday May 8th (no excuse to not get flowers for your mother)
- Hardware Stores: Saturday May 9th
- Retail stores with a street entrance can be open for curbside delivery: Monday May 11th
- Essential construction to allow below-grade multi-unit residential construction projects to begin and existing above-grade projects to continue
- The province also announced that it has extended it’s emergency order, which closes all non-essential businesses and limits gatherings to five, for another two weeks, to May 19th. This means that the emergency order will remain in place through the May long weekend.
- The government has also extended the emergency electricity rate relief for families, farms and small businesses.
- Lastly, the government has abandoned its previously announced plan to change Ontario’s license plates.
- The government was asked about the ongoing number of cases and deaths in the long-term care sector. Minister Elliott noted that the government is doing all that it can to address the crisis. The Minister discussed how they have received help from the armed forces, and also worked collaboratively with hospitals to divert staff to help stabilize the long-term care homes.
- The government was asked about the potential for re-opening dates for restaurants. The Premier did not commit to a date, but did say that they will open restaurants as soon as they can.
Executive Secretary Treasurer
IBEW Construction Council of Ontario